Friday, July 4, 2008

Camping with the Pros

Last weekend Zak and our crew met my Mom and Dad in Leadville, CO for some good old fashioned camping and 4 wheeling! Zak and I started off on Friday to stay for one extra night to make the most of it, my parents were going to meet us the next morning at 9:30am in Leadville. We were going to camp somewhere close to Mosquito Pass which is right outside Leadville and very close to Baby Doe Tabor's Matchless Mine (just a little history for you) and then meet my parents and continue up and possibly over Mosquito Pass. As Zak and I did some exploring that night we noticed that it was possible we would not be able to make all the way up due to snow. We were right and made about 2.4 miles up the pass with the summit being at 3.3 miles, bummer but here's a really pretty picture of Rufus (the car) at the top overlooking the beautiful nature of Mosquito Pass.


So after descending the mountain we decided to try and find a campsite. After adventuring threw a long, narrow road with overgrown trees we discovered that we were on private property and were indeed breaking the very apparent NO TRESPASSING signs...we hauled our butts out of there quick!! Found a good place to set up tent and in the process found out exactly why it is called Mosquito Pass as there were a thousand mosquito's feeding on me, Zak and Zeus for the rest of the night. We retired early as we had a long day ahead of us. The next morning we got up early so that we would have plenty of time to break camp before meeting my parents, we again had a few run In's with the mosquitoes. We decided that with the time we had before we met my parents to explore, not on private property, some of the beautiful mining area that we were in. Leadville is is the highest incorporated city in the continental United States at 10,152 feet above sea level. It is also home to Mount Elbert (14,433 feet) & Mount Massive (14,421 feet) The two tallest peaks in Colorado. Leadville was a huge silver mining town and is also where the National Mining Museum and Hall of Fame is. It is really beautiful up there! So we went on some really HARDCORE spots trying to see all the mining ruins, here is a video displaying the terrain...;)


My dad is a person who is ALWAYS on time, if he says he will be there at 9:30 you better believe that he will, and if something happens he does everything in his power to make up time so that he isn't late. Well that morning My Great Grandma Wilson (who was 98 years old) died so my mom was on the phone all morning sorting everything out with the family, they ended up being late. I felt bad because I gave them a little bit of grief, before I knew what had happened. After that we drove up to Turquoise Lake to drive up a Jeep road, which used to be a railroad in the 1800's. There was beautiful views all around and still plenty of snow, we ended up being the first vehicle to break through a area with a lot of snow. Old Rufus with Zak as his captain had a lot of fun! I of course got it on video below. I don't have a picture of it but I believe my mom does, but we did have to pull out some guy who decided to be a show off behind us, the FJ couldn't quite get him out so Rufus and Zak had to wench up and take over.


We rounded another few switch backs just to come to another spot where the snow was about 5 feet tall so we had to turn around. We did decide to go back down and follow the old railroad trail up to Douglass City. This was a really pretty trail and there was still a lot of snow, so once again Zak and I got wet feet on a hike....forgot the snow boots again! If you click on this picture, when its bigger you will be able to read the sign for Douglass City...just a little more history!


We crossed a some really deep water, And set up camp for night, this was the end of day 2! I am posting the video of my parents crossing as the one of Zak and I has a few choice words that are not suitable for children, it was me this time not Zak!


The next day we got up broke camp and continued our journey up the trail. We ended up at Champion Mill and Mine, which has been restored a few times to try and keep its history alive. It is now used by the government and teachers have the chance to stay up near it in a cabin for summers while taking classes. It is amazing the machines that are still there and the amount of skill it took to make everything to put these mills to use. Most of the pieces to the machines and cable cars are still standing all these years later. Here are some pictures of the beautiful buildings and the beautiful surroundings.

Of course I had to be a smart ass and take a picture in the out house


Champion Mine


Zak the ____________ (Fill in the blank yourself)


That is Mount Elbert to the right and Mount Massive to the left

We had a fun weekend and the dogs only tried to eat a porcipine and Zeus had his sites set on a marmot. I hope my parents had as much fun as we did and we are up to going a few more times if the summer allows it. Hope you enjoyed the videos!!!

1 comment:

Jenni and Simon said...

Nice pictures and superior driving by Zak! Keep up the great blogs!