Thursday, July 3, 2008

Meet the Kids, In Honor of my Mutts!

As most of you know I am a dog lover, WE are dog lovers in the George House! I don't know how I got to be that way considering I didn't have a dog until I was 14 years old, but either way my Dogs are my Life! I just kind of wanted to take a second, or an hour, to honor my dogs and there great big hearts. I spend a lot of time on the internet everday and sometimes I run across some pretty weird things, today I just saw a few sad stories about pit bulls and aggressive dogs so it made me want to tell everyone how loveable and happy mine make me! So here it goes!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself"

Molly Jane, my baby! (and yes our dogs have middle names) My mom found Molly running across Judge Orr Rd on a cold day in February. We think she was dumped out in the country to basically die. For those of you who don't know Judge Orr Rd, it is a two lane road where people usually drive 65-70 even if the speed limit is only 55. She ran across the road with a chain about 10 feet long attached to her. Of course my mom rescued her, much to the dismay of my father. From the second I laid eyes on her I knew she had to be mine, my father approved! Molly and I have had a bond ever since and she is very much a mamma's girl. I love her to death even if she isn't the brightest crayon in the box and has a barking problem. She only barks at people she isn't quit sure of. For example, Zak, myself, The Big Dog (my dad), My Mom and Phil (a guy that works for us) she will bark at for a few seconds until she realizes who it us and then gets excited that you have come to visit her! I call her a blonde cause she kind of acts like one :)She has the biggest heart even though it is very apparent that someone abused and miss-treated her. I Love her so much, even with all of her faults!!! She wasn't potty trained when we got her or even house trained for that matter, stairs were her nemesis! She has since learned to do a lot of things and has had a lot of fun times since joining our family. She can't do cool things, like fetch or shake but she can play dead if I shoot her with my fingers and she sure does love Zak, she feels very safe when he is around. This is especially incrediable considering she used to be deathly afraid of men, my dad the most or any man that would wear coveralls and a baseball cap. I can't help but wonder what her life was like before she became a part of ours. Also, since she doesn't understand how to play fetch with a ball or a frisbee she just barks at the other dogs and then chases them while they run after the ball, its pretty cute she has no clue what they are actually doing! Molly is the heathliest (knock on wood) dog of our 3, only needing to go to the vet for shots and such! She has already promised me she will forever ;)
Favorite Things: Popcorn, Lucy her Cat, sleeping in late with Mom and Camping


My Favorite Picture of Molly


After a swim in Horsetooth Res.


SayD Elizabeth, named after the late, great Sadie Lopez of Houston, TX. Whom I might add, she acts JUST like!! Sayd was a stray who ended up at a shelter in Windsor. I had been going out to the shelter with my friend Alicia who was volunteering there, well one day I saw a couple who was taking "Burgundy" (her given name at the shelter) home. I had never noticed this dog in all of my visits to this shelter, which I think is horrible, but it was for the simple fact she was the only dog not barking her brains out. She would just sit in the back of the kennel and sleep. Well I noticed how sweet she was and when I started talking to the couple about her she walked right over to me and jumped up! I thought to myself "Man what a sweetheart!" 2 days later I returned to the shelter with some friends and noticed "Burgundy" back in a kennel sleeping at the back on a blanket. I immediately turned around walked to the front and asked the people at the front desk what happened. They said and I quote "The people that took her brought her back because she wouldn't stay off of there furniture." SERIOUSLY??? You gave the dog 2 whole days to learn to stay off the couch and she didn't, damn you should take her back to the shelter...needless to say some people are idiots. I told them she needed to come home with me, and $95 dollars later along with some signed paperwork she was on the way to La Casa De Jorge!! The First thing Zak said when I called and told him I was coming home with a dog was, "Is it short haired and is it a male?" Well the answer was NO and NO! He came home and walked into the kitchen and before I could even tell him her story he said "She's kinda ugly." So of course I immediately started crying, saying how I was just trying to do the right thing and that we had talked about getting Molly a friend. (which Molly was very grateful for) He eventually broke! 2 days later "Burgundy" finally had a name, yes we are bad parents. I can't tell you how many names we threw around but nothing seemed to fit. One night we were still trying to find a good fit and I said that my Cousin Andrew had an AWESOME dog that was also a rescue named Sadie, I was hoping that if she was named after her she would be just as smart and sweet!!! Zak for some reason came up with the idea to spell it like Say and add just a D at the end, so there it is. Even though most people call her something other than Sadie when they see her tag, we always correct them and they usually get the reasoning!!! She is the sweetest, smartest dog, very vocal, and very bossy, even afraid of thunder and fireworks or any loud noise for that matter. She may have her issues and by a little bit of a bitchy ole girl, but she was Zak's soul mate right from the start. We got very lucky with Sayd's behavior, as she knew how to sit, stay, come, fetch and all that stuff. What we didn't get so lucky on was her medical issues, allergies in her ears, constant flea biting (there are no fleas on her body to bite), licking of any little scratch, bruise or bump that she gets until she licks the hair off, and of course she had to have her anal glands removed. SayD is the boss so don't mess with her!
Nicknames: Bear and Bearbie, Bear Bear
Favorite Things: Ice Cream, Truck Rides, The Frisbee and Camping



SayD in the December Blizzard of 2006


Best Buds!


Our First Christmas in Fort Collins and first picture with Santa

Jesus (that's pronounced HeyZeus) Hernandez Rodriguez Jorge. My "accident" of a son is from Mexico, okay not really he is from California but he is bi-lingual. Really he is, all the guys at work speak to him in Spanish and he gets very excited about Mexican food and music. This is why he has such the long name ;)Zeus was only supposed to be a lengthy babysitting job for one of our workers sister who had just moved here from California. She was waiting for her house to be built and where she was staying didn't allow dogs. So, on the afternoon of Halloween her and her 2 little girls dropped of Shiloh. Shiloh had no collar, didn't know is name and wasn't really sure why he had to come into the house to sleep and go outside to pee (he is the reason we needed a new couch) One good thing about him was that he was LOVED by SayD, they hit it off in a matter of seconds. The whole situation was a little shady to me but of course Zak always thinks the best of people, needless to say it didn't work out that way. 2 or 3 days after the drop off of Shiloh the women called to say we could find him a home, they didn't want him anymore...again some people are idiots and think dogs are easily disposed of. So after one potential home, many almost trips to the pound, about 20 escapes out the back gate for 1 hour jaunts around the neighborhood and 1 run in, literally, with a minivan. Shiloh became Zeus and he made his way into our hearts...and our bed! Zeus has been a bit of a learning experience for Zak and I, in that we are now officially prepared for children. Dogs of his breed, or Bully's as we call them, need A LOT and I mean A LOT of attention, exercise and need to know who is boss. With a lot of research and a lot of control Zeus has become the kind of dog we brag about, he is very well behaved and a pretty good listener....except when he meets a marmot who wont leave from underneath his car, who can blame him really?! Zeus, who's 4th birthday is on July 9th, try's SO hard to be a good boy anything to please Zak who is his everything, his one true love! Zeus gets so excited for dinner, or if he thinks he is going somewhere and most of all he gets SO excited when you come home from work, or the grocery store or the bathroom. That is the best thing of all about him, he loves with his whole heart. No matter what happened to you on any given day if it was the worst day of your life, Zeus will always bring a smile to your face. As a side note, Zeus survived cancer last January, my poor boy :(
Nicknames: Chuy (pronounced Chewie, again a Mexican thing) Chu Chu, Big Head and Son
Favorite Things: The Ball, Water, Dad, Getting to Sleep on our bed in the mornings


A Man and his Dog


Just keep swimming!!


Zeus and his Box

See I told you it would take and hour! Well there ya go and thanks for taking the time to read about the loves of my life. I really just wanted to use this more as a journal for me than anything else, so that someday many years from now I will be able to remember every single detail about the dogs who changed my life!! Happy 4th!!!

1 comment:

Jenni and Simon said...

Way cool!!! I think it's great that you love your kids so much. And we know how hard you guys work to take good care of them! We thought the blog was great and we just wish you guys were closer so your 4-legged kids could play with ours. Take care! Love you both!

Jenni and SImon